Monday, August 14, 2017

RPGaDay 2017 Day 14


Which RPG do you prefer for open-ended campaign play?

This is an interesting question. First I have to ask myself what is an open-ended campaign? To this I answer, it is a sandbox. Yes, it is a sandbox. I guess you could say open-ended campaign is a plotless campaign, which really isn't a campaign at all. According to the dictionary a campaign is a series of military operations intended to achieve a particular objective, confined to a particular area, or involving a specified type of fighting. Without an end or objective then it can't be a campaign at all. Therefore an open-ended campaign must be some new weird term for sandbox.

As a sandbox I prefer Castles & Crusades. It is a fixed OGL version of D&D 3.0. I'm sure Skip Williams would be chastising me right now if he read this. Converting monster stats from D&D or Swords and Wizardry is a breeze. Usually when I'm feeling lazy I'll go grab an OD&D or 1st Edition adventure and convert the stats. As a Castle Keeper running the game is fairly easy and straight forward. The rules are much more simple than 5E and if the rule isn't in the book, well then you get to make one up on the fly. I had a blast running a sandbox game in the Haunted Highlands in the past and am looking to start a new campaign in the Free City of Eskadia.


No comments:

Post a Comment